Thermal Evaporation Plant
The Thermal Evaporation Plant (previously known as the Solar Evaporation Plant, before that the Salination Plant) is a multi-block structure used in the creation of Brine from water and Liquid Lithium from Brine at a rate of 10:1 (Input:Output). It has a 4x4 block base and a user-definable height of 3 to 18 blocks (not including the height added by the Advanced Solar Generators). It does not require an external power source to function, but does require a source of heat.
|1||Place a 4x4 base layer of Thermal Evaporation Blocks down.|
|(Tip)||If you are building a tall Thermal Evaporation Plant, it might be useful to build it into the ground. The only requirement for the Evaporation Plant's operation is that it has clear line of sight to the sky.|
|2||Add a hollow "ring" of Thermal Evaporation Blocks on top of the base. The corners must be filled.|
|3||This step is optional. Stack additional ring layers of Thermal Evaporation Blocks. Each layer you add will add to the structure's maximum temperature by 100K, the temperature determining the Brine/Liquid Lithium production rate. You can create up to 15 additional middle layers (not including the one built in the previous step).|
|4||Remove at least two Thermal Evaporation Blocks from the structure and replace them with Thermal Evaporation Valves, three if you plan on creating Liquid Lithium from the same structure. The valves may be placed anywhere a Thermal Evaporation Block can be, including the bottom base layer.|
|5A|| Place either an Advanced Solar Generator or a Thermal Evaporation Block on the corners of the top layer.
*Versions 8 and prior require all 4 Advanced Solar Generators for the Evaporation Plant to function. *Versions 9 and later does not require any Advanced Solar Generators to form the Evaporation Plant, but it will not heat up without a Heater.
|5B||Fill in the top ring with more Thermal Evaporation Blocks.|
|6||Remove a Thermal Evaporation Block and replace it with the Thermal Evaporation Controller. It may be anywhere on the sides of the plant, except on the corners.|
|Done||If you have Particles enabled, you should see red particles briefly appear around the structure, indicating that it has been properly constructed. You can also right-click the Thermal Evaporation Controller and check its status.|
You access the GUI of the Thermal Evaporation Plant by right-clicking the plant's Thermal Evaporation Controller.
- The meter on the far left indicates the amount of liquid that has been inputted into the structure. This is for Water (if you're creating Brine) or Brine (if you're creating Liquid Lithium).
- The top left slot accepts buckets full of either Water or Brine to be stored in the liquid input buffer. The remaining empty bucket will appear in the slot below it.
- The green LCD screen displays the machine's statuses.
- Formed indicates the multi-block structure has been properly assembled; it will read "Incomplete" if not.
- Height is the height of the structure from its top to bottom layer, not including the height added by the Advanced Solar Generators.
- Mult is the multiplier that determines how quickly the temperature will raise. The algorithm behind this is
Multiplier = biomeTemp x (activeSolars / 4).
activeSolarsis how many Advanced Solar Panels have sight of the sun. If half or more of the top of an Advanced Solar Panel's 9 block area cannot see the sun, it will no longer produce power, and therefore will not contribute to the plant's multiplier. Note that if
activeSolarsreaches 0, the plant will begin to lose its temperature at about 1K per second.
biomeTempis the temperature of the biome that the structure is built in. Biomes have different temperatures, ranging from -0.5 to 2.0. Follow this link for more information.
- Max is the maximum temperature that the Thermal Evaporation Plant can achieve. Temperature determines how quickly this structure produces Brine or Liquid Lithium. The maximum potential temperature is proportional to the height of the plant (up to a height of 18), each additional layer adding 100K.
- The multicolored progress bar indicates the Solar Evaporation Plant's current temperature. This will fill up at a certain rate (determined by the multiplier), up to a certain amount (determined by the maximum temperature).
- The top right slot accepts empty buckets, which will fill up with Brine or Liquid Lithium from the output tank, putting the filled bucket in the slot below it.
- The meter on the far right indicates the amount of Brine or Liquid Lithium that is being stored.
The Thermal Evaporation Plant requires a steady source of heat during operation. Although it can operate in some biomes without any heat source, the process will be very slow, on the order of mB's or less.
The Evaporation Plant can be passively heated by the Advanced Solar Generators on its top, described in the Construction Section, or it can actively heated from an outside source. Heaters may be placed adjacent to any of the Thermal Evaporation Blocks to heat the structure, and Thermodynamic Conductors can connect to Thermal Evaporation Valves to transmit heat from other sources.
To set up a basic configuration (using only items from Mekanism) to insert, extract, and store liquids with Mechanical Pipe, you will need the following:
- 1 source of water at least 2x2 blocks wide
- 1 Electric Pump
- 1 power source to power the Electric Pump
- 12 Mechanical Pipe
- 1 Configurator to configure pipe modes
- 2 Tanks to store Brine and Liquid Lithium
Then, proceed to set up a liquid transport system as shown in the following images (click to expand):
- A: Water transport system
- B: Brine transport system
- C: Liquid Lithium transport system
To create Brine, configure the pipe's business ends as shown in the first image. To create Liquid Lithium (you will have first needed to create a decent amount of Brine), first disable (use the Configurator to set to "None") the Water pipe's business end leading into the Solar Evaporation Plant and wait for the water to leak out of the system. Then, configure the business ends as shown in the second image.
(Pre Mekanism v8) Using the Salination Plant
Salination Controller GUI
- Build button
- Water input
- Brine output
- Temperature (°F)
The salination process uses energy from the Advanced Solar Generators to convert water (2) into Brine (3). Buckets can be placed inside the small square slots to input/output water/brine, or Mechanical Pipes (or similar devices) can be used.
- You can build/bury the plant into the ground and it will still function. Keep in mind that if you are using one or more Advanced Solar Generators they will need a clear path to the sky.
- If you have the habit of processing large batches of ore at a time, it is recommended to use a sizable Dynamic Tank in between the Solar Evaporation Plant and your Electrolytic Separator.
- If you have a mod pack that has computers, you can place the computer on any of the outside structure blocks and the computer will recognize it as a peripheral.
- A single Resistive Heater is all that is needed to actively heat the Thermal Evaporation Plant; having more will not give any significant advantage, especially since you can adjust the J/t that the heater uses in its GUI.
- Multiple Fuelwood Heaters may be used to heat the Thermal Evaporation Plant; Unlike the Resistive Heater, more Fuelwood Heaters will heat the Plant faster;
- Fuelwood heaters must be placed by a Thermal Evaporation Valve or use Thermodynamic Conductors to transmit heat to the Evaporation Plant